top of page
  • Writer's pictureIsaac Callan

Extra billing sometimes a ‘misunderstanding,’ Ontario health minister says

By Isaac Callan & Colin D'Mello Global News

Posted March 28, 2024 6:00 am


RELATED: Since the Ford government took power in 2018, around $70,000 in medical fees have been found to violate legislation that outlaws charges for procedures or services that are covered by public insurance. Global News’ Queen’s Park Bureau Chief Colin D’Mello reports – May 9, 2023

As Ontario continues to significantly expand the role of private, for-profit health clinics in the province, the health minister says cases of wrongful extra billing can boil down to a “misunderstanding.”


Minister of Health Sylvia Jones said, on Wednesday, that the number of complaints about wrongful billing in the province is “minuscule” and suggested they may not always be malicious or intentional.


“I wouldn’t use the word ‘bad actor,’” Jones told reporters at Queen’s Park. “I would say, in some cases, it is a misunderstanding about what is covered and what is not.”


“When those conversations happen, the patient is reimbursed and the clinic or clinician who has done it gets that education because we want to make sure people have access,” Jones added.


Data previously shared with Global News by the Ministry of Health shows that, since the Ford government took power in 2018 until 2022, around $70,000 in medical fees were been found to violate legislation that outlaws charges for procedures or services already covered by public insurance.




Comments


bottom of page